[Yt-dev] Reason Sprint on Monday at 11:00 AM EDT

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 09:45:15 PDT 2011

Hi all,

As a quick note, if you want to see Reason and test it out, it's
actually not so bad now.  Right now while it *works* with non-Enzo
datasets, it can't detect them, so the process is slightly different
for Enzo or non-Enzo.  Just make sure you are up to date and that you
have run a recent install script so that you have
$YT_DEST/src/ext-resources and $YT_DEST/src/ext-theme .  (You can get
these by downloading
http://yt.enzotools.org/dependencies/ext-3.3.2.zip and
http://yt.enzotools.org/dependencies/ext-slate-110328.zip and
symlinking them to ext-resources and ext-theme, respectively.)

To start it up for Enzo datasets on your local machine:

cd /path/to/your/simulation/base
yt serve -f -o

That will search for */*.hierarchy and load the datasets up.  If you
are on a remote machine:

cd /path/to/your/simulation/base
yt serve -f

This will print out how to talk to ssh (~C, then a command to forward
ports).  Once you type those in, you can hit the URL it prints out
above, right from your local machine, and all the outputs it finds
will be loaded up.

If you're not using Enzo datasets, you can skip the "-f", but
including it won't hurt.  You will have to load your datasets by hand,
the standard way, by typing into the main evaluation window:

load("my_data/")

for instance.

The widgets for projections and slicing now work pretty nicely (and
you can upload images to imgur for easy sharing with other people!)
and I think that it should mostly work, otherwise.  The system now
uses a heartbeat between the server and the web browser, which can
sometimes get in the way of shutting down, but if you choose "Quit"
from the menu it should definitely close down the server.

Anyway, I'm pretty happy with it (and I've been using it quite a lot
to look at remote data) but there are a number of things that need to
be added -- like colorbars and image info! -- before it's quite
production ready.  Cameron, Jeff and Britton have been really rocking
out on it, and I wanted to publicly thank them for their hard work.
Sam's written *most* of a WebGL grid viewer which I think is very
close to being included, which frankly is pretty awesome.  Hopefully I
can persuade him to investigate how many vertices would be necessary
for a marching cubes viz ... :)

Anybody else that tries it, please feel free to dig in and make
changes, or let us know what you think, and any other major bugs you
might see.  Hope to see y'all on Monday!

-Matt