[Yt-dev] Halo Profiler projections

Stephen Skory s at skory.us
Mon Apr 11 17:11:47 PDT 2011

Hi all,

I just spent some time trying to diagnose a segfault when the
HaloProfiler was trying to make projections of the haloes. The problem
was in making the FixedResolutionBuffer, the image it was trying to
make was 16K by 16K, which cannot fit in any normal machine's memory.
I think this is because I am looking at a zoom-in simulation of a
smallish cosmological size, with high resolution in the region of
interest. The default projection width in the HaloProfiler is 8 Mpc,
so I had a big numerator and a small denominator.

What do we think about changing this default to some multiple of the
halo maximum radius? I think any constant value will make problems.

--
Stephen Skory
s at skory.us
http://stephenskory.com/