[Yt-dev] Bugs and Trac and BitBucket

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 15:00:03 PDT 2011

Hi all,

I've tried to get a nice bug import mechanism going to go from the
existing Trac to BitBucket nicely.  But, the API for BitBucket's bug
creation mechanism doesn't (currently) let you set the resolution of a
bug, or the milestone info.

With the new development of Reason, Cameron and I talked about how to
track future changes, and the idea of using the bug tracker came up.
I'm a little bit skittish about using the bitbucket one unless we have
a full import.  But I'm willing to get over that.  So far the bug
tracker has really only ever been a mechanism to keep track of things,
never for actual bug reports.  (Maybe this will change?)  I see three
options for moving to bitbucket:

1) Import what I can, for history's sake, and then close down Trac.
2) Wait for the API to be improved, and for now, don't use the
bugtracker anywhere.
3) Give up, just start over on BitBucket, and leave Trac up but hidden.

Can I get a real quick vote, 1/2/3?  I know that the bug tracker is
really never used, but I think transitioning to the BB one might
change that, so I want to make sure we do it right.

Importing the Wiki is a lot easier, because we have very little
content in the wiki that needs to be retained.  And if we end up
moving the bugs out of Trac, that whole infrastructure can be
shuttered.