[Yt-dev] Reading in Daniel Ceverino's ART output

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 14:36:25 PDT 2010

Hi Doug and Chris,

Chris -- glad to see you're making good progress.  I'm hopeful that
this will become useful for you and your collaborators in the near
term.

Doug -- I'm very glad to hear you're interested in adding support for
ART.  My concern in the past has been that the ART file format seems
to be somewhat in flux, but with you on board this should not be a
problem.  :)

The RAMSES frontend has a couple different sections in it.  My
suggestion to Chris was to excise from it the patch coalescing
mechanism and the broad python structure that works with it.  The
patch coalescing does not currently work in parallel, but because it
works via domain decomposition naturally this should not be terribly
difficult to implement.  I have not yet implemented a serialization
mechanism for the coalesced hierarchy, but that is from a lack of
time, not a lack of will.

So, yes, I think that the important sections of the RAMSES frontend
will be general enough, and if they are not I will refactor them so
that they are.

Also, Doug -- thanks for your interest in yt!  I am very excited to
see interest in adding support for ART, and I'll do what I can to
assist with that.

Best,

Matt