[Yt-dev] Request For Ideas: Particle Handling

Stephen Skory stephenskory at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 2 07:15:03 PDT 2010

All,

> sphere["popiii_particle_velocity_x"]
> sphere["popiii", "particle_velocity_x"]
> sphere.particles["popiii"]["particle_velocity_x"]

I don't know if it would be correct to do it in this framework, but we could
consider making the particle statements a bit more powerful and allowing
multiple filters. For example, something like this:

sphere[["popiii", "M>1e10"], "particle_velocity_x"]

would pick out p_v_x of fantastically massive popiii stars. This may make doing
analysis of large datasets simpler for the end-user when it's done in parallel,
if we do the back-end particle handing "right". I can see some problems with
this, but I'm putting the idea out there.