[Yt-dev] Kraken Dynamic Loader

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 19:48:24 PDT 2010

Hi all,

I've been able to get yt to run on Kraken using only dynamic
libraries.  I think this means that -- while performance is probably
slightly worse! -- it isn't necessary to maintain static libraries.
The only trick is that the stack has to be completely located on the
scratch/lustre disk.  Here's the process that worked for me:

I checked out the install script, replaced the svn checkout in the
install script with an hg checkout, and ran it inside lustre with
PrgEnv-gnu.

I copied the following libraries from /lib64 or /usr/lib64, or even
from the GNU installation location, into the yt-x86_64/lib directory:

libm.so.6
libc.so.6
libutil.so.1
libdl.so.2
libpthread.so.0
libgcc_s.so.1
libstdc++.so.6
libfreetype.so.6

Inside the submission script I set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to the new
directory on the scratch disk.  Then, launching the scratch disk
python2.6, it worked.

Anyway, I'm going to write this up, but let me know if this works for
anyone else.  You can see which libraries a library requires in the
lib/ directory by running ldd on it.