[Yt-dev] yt 2.0

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Sun Oct 3 08:46:08 PDT 2010

Hi Stephen,

My reading of your question is whether or not the parallelHF is
included in the contents of "from yt.mods import *"; i.e., is it
automatically imported and included in that name space.

No, it currently isn't, but this was not (to my recollection) by design.

The vast majority of users won't have access to the halo finder
because the kD-tree installation is non-trivial.  Forthon is not
pip-installable and the kD-tree itself requires several steps to get
installed (it doesn't work with distutils).  So what was happening in
the past was that most users were simply seeing a warning message for
the code.  (Additionally, on a more aesthetic note, it doesn't fit the
naming convention: parallelHF.)

However, those objections aside, my reading of the source is that in
fact it *is* being imported because the mods.py file imports from
analysis_modules.halo_finding.api, which pulls in parallelHF.  It just
doesn't get added to the local name space.  It does get added to
amods, as do all the analysis modules:

from yt.mods import*
amods.halo_finding.parallelHF

If you think it should be directly imported into mods, then that's
fine, you can go ahead and make that change.

-Matt