[Yt-dev] Migration to 2.0 being the stable branch

Samuel W Skillman Samuel.Skillman at Colorado.EDU
Mon Nov 8 10:26:45 PST 2010

Hi all,

Definitely.  I'm working on it right now actually.  I've nearly finished
cleaning out the bugs from the merge with the yt (2.0) branch, and once
that's done I'll get going on the docs.  Since my original kd-rendering
branch was a branch off of what became "stable", there is a big merge
changeset in there.  What I plan on doing is finishing the merge/docs today
or tomorrow, and pushing the kd-rendering branch.  I don't quite feel
comfortable merging that and the yt branch together, so I'll probably look
for some help from Matt to make sure that it's all getting done the right
way.

The other option I see to "closing" the kd-rendering branch is to just add
the functionality to the yt branch without going through the merging
process.  Since the kd-tree stuff is mostly additions, the only merging has
to do with camera.py and a function or two in
the parallel_analysis_interface, this wouldn't be that difficult.  So, the
question is: would you all (mostly Matt) rather just get rid of the
kd-rendering branch and have me add what is needed to the "yt" branch or
would you rather have me commit the rather huge merges, possibly making the
stable->yt merge more complicated.  I'm happy doing either.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to this migration, and I think after a couple
of updates to various user scripts it should be a great improvement!

Sam

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 11:15 AM, Stephen Skory <stephenskory at yahoo.com>wrote:

> > Thoughts?
>

> Nothing specific, except that I support this idea. I've been bugging Sam to
> integrate his volume rendering stuff into the development branch (and write
> docs for it simultaneously), so that stuff may be ready for release by then
> (Sam?). I would also like to point out that we will have to go through the
> docs and change the examples, in addition to the conversion rubric Matt
> wrote about.
>

> Stephen Skory
> stephenskory at yahoo.com
> http://stephenskory.com/
> 510.621.3687 (google voice)

Samuel W. Skillman
DOE Computational Science Graduate Fellow
Center for Astrophysics and Space Astronomy
University of Colorado at Boulder
samuel.skillman[at]colorado.edu