[Yt-dev] Configuration reorg call for testing

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 10:54:32 PST 2010

Hi all,

I wrote up a mechanism for consolidating all the different options in
the ~/.yt/config file into a single section, which should make
everything much more straightforward.  I've made a pass at having the
config module auto-upgrade, but I was hoping to have a couple people
test this -- specifically, it'd be great if Britton, Dave, Jeff and
Stephen (people I know who've used the config file in fun and/or fancy
ways in the past, or whose code I think touches the config file in a
couple places) could test it.

I've attached a bundle of changesets, which include the auto-upgrader
and modifications to make it use a single config section.  When it
auto-upgrades, it will move ~/.yt/config to ~/.yt/config.old.  If you
get a chance, I would appreciate running yt with this, maybe on Kraken
or some pathologically weird location, maybe with your own custom
~/.yt/config, or whatever.  Any bugs or suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.  It'll only auto-convert *once*, so feel free to test by
copying ~/.yt/config.old back to ~/.yt/config to re-run the upgrade
process.

Once this can be applied, instead of having ill-defined [yt], [lagos],
[raven], etc sections in the config file, there'll only be the single
section [yt] where everything will go.

Thanks for any feedback.