[Yt-dev] Cool Merger Tree PDF

Stephen Skory stephenskory at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 30 17:16:02 PDT 2010

Eric,

>   this is very cool.  I would like to run this on one of
> our simulations.  Is it ready to run out of the box now as described in
> your previous email?  Or have there been
> changes?

It hasn't given me any problems, except for a memory leak issue that appears to be particleIO related. I've been pretty good about keeping the documentation for it in the hg yt-doc up to date, so I'd recommend reading that. I think the script I sent earlier is still usable, but there are examples in the doc of how to get started. I just pushed a few changes so make sure you're up to date in the devel and doc repos.

I find that if you can store the database on a real disk while it's being created things go much more quickly. If you cannot, try storing it in a folder you've striped to 0, or whatever it takes such that there isn't distributed copies of the database on the parallel disk. Depending on how many datasets you are doing, you may run out of memory during halo finding. In that case, I have just deleted the database file, and restarted the script. It will re-load already completed work into the database fairly quickly and then start back where it left off.

Let me know how it goes!