[Yt-dev] yt structure

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 17:23:28 PST 2010

Hi guys,

I've started experimenting with the yt reorganization.  This week a
couple of us will be in Austin, in person, so I anticipate making some
motion then.  When I started fiddling, I didn't have access to email,
so I didn't have Stephen's suggested package organization -- which, in
retrospect, makes a lot of sense.  I think I'm going to focus on:

yt
  amr_utils
  analysis
  data_io
    base
    enzo
    orion
    gadget, chombo, etc
  data_objects
  plotting
  parallel_tools
  file_handling
  extensions

the only issue, conceptually, that I am having is with the
classification of things like code-specific fields under
data_io/[code]/fields.py .  Not sure about that.  Anybody have any
thoughts?

Anyway, just a short update is all.  The work will be in a named
branch, kept in a separate repo, called "reorganization" and
"yt-reorg" respectively.  Merging this into SVN will be tricky, but
do-able, but on a medium-timescale, once it's stable.  We'll do a
point-release before any changes.

-Matt