[Yt-dev] findinits replacement

Stephen Skory stephenskory at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 29 07:38:32 PDT 2010

Matt,

> Has anybody written a replacement for findinits?  If you  remember,
> this was a utility that took two outputs along with a  region
> specification.  The particles inside that region in the later  output
> were located in the earlier simulation, and the minimum bounding  box
> that they occupied was output on the command prompt.  This was  usually
> used for zoom simulations.

Linked below is a script that does almost what you want. This script runs HOP at
some low redshift, and identifies all the particles in the halo. Then it loops
over earlier data dumps to figure out the minimum volume that encloses all these
particles as a function of redshift. The output can be used with the evolving
refinement region setting that I put in 2.0 courtesy of John Wise. You can base
your nested grids on the box at the highest z. I hope this helps!

http://paste.enzotools.org/show/957/