[Yt-dev] pandas

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 14:06:25 PST 2010

Hi guys,

This library was mentioned on the scipy mailing list today:

http://code.google.com/p/pandas/

It looks VERY interesting, as it seems to exist somewhere between the
'time series' and 'data series' modes of thought -- which I would
argue is where simulation data lives, too.  There was a talk on it at
PyCon earlier this week:

http://us.pycon.org/2010/conference/schedule/event/50/
(the talk: http://pycon.blip.tv/file/3261331 )

I haven't watched it yet, but the slides and documentation are very
interesting.  It integrates with MPL, NumPy, etc etc, and provides a
number of running-functions for things like running medians and
whatnot.  I'm going to try running some of my analysis for my current
project in this, and if it works out, I think we should consider it as
a basis for some more extensive time-domain calculations.