[Yt-dev] HDF5 Format for Merger Trees

Stephen Skory stephenskory at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 17 15:13:59 PST 2010

> I just saw a presentation about a semi-analytic code called
> Galacticus, by Andrew Benson of Caltech.  He presented on an HDF5
> format for merger trees which is quite interesting, and certainly
> something I think we should pursue implementing.
>
> http://www.ctcp.caltech.edu/galacticus/MergerTreeFileFormat.pdf

I didn't see the presentation, so I'm wondering how exactly this is better than a SQL database for storing *relational* data? I agree that storing the particle data in the SQL database, for example, is not good, but it seems to me that HDF5 is not ideal for what SQL is designed for.

 Stephen Skory
stephenskory at yahoo.com
http://stephenskory.com/
510.621.3687 (google voice)