[Yt-dev] problem cloning yt

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Sat Dec 4 21:09:24 PST 2010

Hi Britton, everyone else,

As a stopgap, I've changed up the method for cloning the yt repository
in the install script, which I thought I'd share here.  The old way:

1) clone repo

has been replaced with:

1) clone repo up to revision 0
2) download bundled file (provided by me) from
http://yt.enzotools.org/dependencies/yt.hg
3) unbundle yt.hg into repository
4) pull any newer changes

(Note that Mercurial issue 713,
http://mercurial.selenic.com/bts/issue713 , would streamline this.)

This is a method that y'all can replicate ,if you persistently have
trouble cloning -- the bundle, which I'll probably only very
infrequently update, will reside here:

http://yt.enzotools.org/dependencies/yt.hg

I think that this modification will fix the install script, but if
anyone here has trouble manually cloning, it is something you could
attempt as well.  I won't move the bundle, and it won't always be up
to date, but if you just perform these three commands it should be
failure-resistant:

hg clone -r0 http://hg.enzotools.org/yt/ yt-hg
wget http://yt.enzotools.org/dependencies/yt.hg
hg -R yt-hg unbundle yt.hg
hg -R yt-hg pull
hg -R yt-hg update -C tip

Hopefully there'll be some other way to fix it, because I recognize
how annoying it is to even have to apply this kind of fix.  For what
it's worth, I've only seen intermittent failures, and usually they do
clear up.

-Matt