[Yt-dev] Broken volume rendering

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Mon Aug 2 07:25:28 PDT 2010

Hi Rick,

I've committed and pushed a changeset that I think addresses this
issue in 1831bbe4afd1 in mercurial; I'll backport to svn shortly.
(Also, I recently updated my installation of Cython, which I think may
have turned off some performance-helping preprocessor directives by
default; I'm looking into this.)

You were right, it was in the calculation of the step, iv_dir, tdelta
and tmax variables, which are used for determining how a ray moves
across a subdivided volume (in this case, a homogenized brick
consisting of cells.)  I simply did a floating point check (which may
be unreliable) against 0.0, and if the vector component is zero it
initializes the tmax and tdelta to be very large and the step to be 1.
 I tried with step set to zero, but it introduced some issues with the
loop over cells never terminating, whereas this solution should not
cause any problems and should still allow the loop to terminate.

The black screens with zero component normal vectors are gone for me.
Let me know if you run into any more problems!

-Matt