[Yt-dev] possible bug?

Britton Smith brittonsmith at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 12:01:40 PDT 2010

I'm a bit more confused that it's also happening in serial, but that will
make debugging easier.  Let us know when you track down the last working
version.  In fact, if you just want to insert a couple print statements into
the write_filtered_list routine in HaloProfiler.py, you might be able to
figure out just where it's hanging up.

Britton

On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 12:43 PM, Eric Hallman <hallman13 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Guys,
>   thanks for the help.  I was stuck on where to go next.
>
> This is breaking in the same way in serial or parallel.  Don't know if that
> helps in diagnosing or not.  It is apparently writing the virial_filter.out
> file.
>
> I will go back to a working version.  For sure it was working as recently
> as about a month ago.
>

> On Apr 5, 2010, at 1:49 PM, Britton Smith wrote:
>
> Hi Eric,
>
> Matt's suggestion would be helpful.  If you were running the code
> successfully at any time recently, it should be simple to track down the
> revision where it breaks.
> Does the halo filter list actually get written out?  I assume this is only
> hanging when running in parallel, but correct me if I'm wrong on that.
> Looking at the light cone and halo profiler code, the function where the
> hang occurs is called from functions that have various parallel decorators
> around them, which are probably adding a number of barriers.
>
> Britton
>
> On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 11:35 AM, Matthew Turk <matthewturk at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Eric, if you can run "hg bisect" (see the hg book online) to identify the
>> revision this started at, that would be very handy. I would start b going
>> back only a dozen or so. Does this problem occur on smaller datasets on, say
>> your laptop or desktop?
>>

>> On Apr 5, 2010, at 10:14 AM, Eric Hallman <hallman13 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>  I am getting a hang when I run the lightcone tools on ranger, and no
>>> debug info is coming out at the hang. this is in the hg version (current) of
>>> yt.
>>>
>>> The routines I'm running is called test_vel_mask.py, which is creating a
>>> lightcone with a halo map that includes the bulk line of sight halo
>>> velocity.  It includes  a slight modification of HaloMask.py to include
>>> velocities.  However, I removed my changes, and ran again with the same