[Yt-dev] Volume Rendering branch

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Fri Apr 23 15:28:40 PDT 2010

Hi guys,

The vr-multivariate branch has been merged into the main yt-hg
repository.  I worked a little bit on speed today and for
ColorTransferFunction it's now competitive.  Additionally, I've added
a Projection mechanism that should enable off-axis projections (this
will be documented very soon.)  The off-axis projections are pretty
nice, I think -- the only hold up on that front is that I want to
ensure that I understand the units.  I've attached an example image,
which was created by the volume renderer using this script:

http://paste.enzotools.org/show/464/

note that we output directly to PNG here -- no matplotlib intervention at all!

This is from data supplied by Cameron Hummels, which he was previously
using a stacked cutting plane method to look at off-axis.  I'm excited
about the off-axis projections, because my protostars are rarely
aligned with the grids -- so now off-axis projections of baryon
quantities are going to become a part of my standard analysis.  Again,
the units need to be examined before this is finished, and I'll handle
that shortly.

Let me know if there are any issues.  I'll probably port this back to
trunk this weekend.  By merging this branch we now have in the main hg
repo:

 * Off-axis projections
 * Multivariate volume rendering
 * Planck transfer functions