[Yt-dev] yt fof question

Stephen Skory stephenskory at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 15 08:53:45 PDT 2009

Britton,

>I think this question is mainly for Stephen and possibly John, if he's on this list.  I was trying to make a direct comparison between the halos found with yt FOF and with John Wise's FOF for the same simulation.  The mass functions definitely look the same, but the particle membership for any given halo is totally different.  I'm sure this is just a matter of the particle indexing.  Does yt FOF use the particle IDs from enzo, or some different system?  Any ideas for how I might correct this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Unless there is some bug inside of the FOF code, or in the interface between yt and the FOF code, it should be the IDs from the enzo dataset, just like the IDs from a run of yt HOP. I never did extensive testing on yt FOF so it's possible there is a bug. Have you checked against the raw enzo data to see which is correct?

Thanks for digging into this stuff, by the way!