[Yt-dev] 1024^3 HOP problems

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Wed May 6 12:25:55 PDT 2009

> I'll keep plugging away at this. Thanks!

There are several debugging techniques that need to be executed.  I
would recommend you instantiate the hierarchy interactively and
examine the RAM in use.  Load a single tile with varying sizes based
on the number of processors, and see how many fields you can load
before it dies.  You should additionally consider using guppy to debug
the memory.  I believe fixing this problem will require an engaged
approach.  Until we can figure out where the memory is going, I don't
think we can really fix it.

Your statement that it did not die during hierarchy instantiation is
upsetting to me.  Previously, you said it died here:

self.gridTree = [ [] for i in range(self.num_grids)]

This happens during hierarchy instantiation.  Can you please send the
entire traceback from this crash?  If it did NOT occur during
hierarchy instantiation, but instead somewhere else, then we have an
interesting problem.