[Yt-dev] minimum halo mass

Stephen Skory stephenskory at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 19 13:30:10 PDT 2009

> I'm okay with just coming up with something and then setting that as

> the default and then allowing users to override.  Why not use an
> overdensity of 200 (or, even, density_threshold?) and multiply that by
> 4/3 pi radius^3?  Am I misunderstanding?

Yes, I think you're misunderstanding. A threshold in itself doesn't define any length scale.

In a 1 Mpc cosmology run, the biggest halo is 1e10 Msol and has a radius of 0.09 in code units.
In L7, which is 512 Mpc on a side, the biggest halo is about 1e15 Msol and has a radius of 0.01 in code units.

This is pretty much the scope of currently practical enzo cosmology runs that anyone will be doing. Sure, people run enzo on smaller scales, but they don't use 512**3 particles, so parallel hop isn't as much of an issue.

I mean, even something simple like this could work:

padding = 0.1 / (side length in mpc)^1/3

so
0.1/(1)^1/3 = 0.1
0.1/(512)^1/3 = 0.01

I mean, seriously, something chickenshit simple like this will be fine in my opinion.