[Yt-dev] RMS mass overdensity method

Stephen Skory stephenskory at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 1 16:12:13 PST 2009

Hi,

> - in _get_over_density(), I am using the pf.h.sphere() method to cut out the
> particles inside the smoothing sphere, but I'm not sure I want to do this. I'm
> aware that as it is it won't work using the _partition_hierarchy_3d method. Can
> you give me a suggestion of the 'right' way to do this? I'd wonder if investing
> time in the KDtree scipy stuff Matt emailed about earlier is worth it, but we
> already have this domain decomposition plus oversampling machinery, and we
> definitely need the oversampling for this method. And domain decomposition makes
> data reading so much faster.

I thought about this some more, and it's obvious what is a better way to go. If pf.h.sphere() is a 'good' way to do this, for each task it should operate on pf, and skip the _partition_heirarchy_3d .data_source, but only choose a random center in its own sub-region. This will eliminate the over-sampling required in the interior sub-regions, but the edges still need padding. Does this make sense?

Alternatively, if doing this domain decomposition and then randomly choosing centers granulates the randomness, which I frankly don't think is a problem, I could pre-build a list of random centers and each task would only use ones it owns.

Thanks!