[Yt-dev] Hacking guidelines

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 11:21:46 PDT 2009

Hi guys,

I put up a wiki page today with some stuff I wrote up on the bus this morning:

http://yt.enzotools.org/wiki/HackingGuidelines

It's the first iteration, but I thought it would be a good way to
start codifying what we want in terms of contributions.  I have been
following some discussions on other lists, where people are talking
about contributions, and the relative impact of guidelines on the
quality and quantity of  contributions; with a release coming up (1.5,
maybe May?  maybe in conjunction with the Barn?) that I think will
turn yt from a plotting tool into a full-fledged analysis and
visualization solution, I thought we should start soliciting and
encouraging contributions and bug fixes.  These would also be great
guidelines for us to follow as well; I am guilty of not realizing
these ideals quite as well as I should, so now I can be publicly
shamed.  :)

I think you all have wiki accounts, so if I've left something out you
should feel free to fix it up.