[Yt-dev] parallel profiler problem

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 23:05:49 PDT 2009

Hi Stephen,

We'd be happy to help.  It'd be great if you could help and do some
detective work, too.  :)  Specifically, maybe you can figure out which
field is being profiled at the time of the crash, maybe submit the
parameter file so we can take a look at it, and then see what it
guesses the limits are.  Maybe you could try generating an AMRSphere
yourself with the center/radius it's using (this should be visible
inside the HOP output file) and see if the data being fed into the
profiler (not the halo profiler, but Binned1DProfile) is meaningful or
not -- unfortunately because the dataset is so big, and since neither
of us have run into this before, we're going to have to rely on a bit
of your sleuthing.

Typically -- in my experience -- the specific problem you are bringing
up is from a data source not having enough data points inside the
binning range.  I've made up a patch that should make this more
explicit.  Regardless, this is a flaw that needs to be addressed in
yt.  The patch below doesn't give *much* information, but it will tell
you if what we're seeing is what I think it is.

http://paste.enzotools.org/show/84/

-Matt