[Yt-dev] parallel halo profiles

Stephen Skory stephenskory at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 13 14:05:20 PDT 2009

Hi guys,

I brought this up a while ago and I'm not sure where we left it. I thought I needed it earlier, but it turns out I didn't, so I forgot about it. However, now I definitely have need to get virial masses for L7 haloes. A parallel halo profiler would make this a much more reasonable task.

I think I can probably figure out a way to do it myself (which would be a good thing for me to do) but I don't want to step on any toes or do it in a bad or inextensible way. Keeping that in mind, do any of you have some suggestions?

I think the best way is to parallelize similarly to HOP using sub-volumes to keep memory usage low for each processor. Then each process would only run on haloes in its sub-volume. This would make things nicer if parallel HOP is run before the profiler, data wouldn't have to be read multiple times.

Thanks!