[Yt-dev] yt: moving pickled things

david collins antpuncher at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 14:26:37 PDT 2009

> can you please write a handy script for this and then we can put it
> somewhere public?

I'll think about the best way to do that.  sed is dead easy, but a
by-hand hack.  Not immediately obvious to me how automated this should
be, or which hash is better to change.  I'd say that changing the hash
in the file is more appealing to me, but I don't know if a tool that
changes the hash in any kind of automated way extant dumps is a great
idea.

Here's a thought I had about skirting this in the future-- Would it be
possible to have yt alert the user when CTID is missing, and have a
tool that inserts some other time as CTID straight into the file
(current time at call I think would get you all the uniqueness of pf
you desire)  This would get around the timestamp problem, which has
bitten me more than once (esp. on machines that actually enforce their
purge policy)

This could either be done automatically or by some script or by a
combination of propt/don't ask again type thing. (Which I like in
general)

d.