[Yt-dev] Website Changes, dev blog?

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 22:07:49 PST 2009

> We talked a while ago about possibly hosting a handful of scripts that
> people have written to make various enzo things easier.  I would contribute
> a couple of handy Perl scripts, the progress script and maybe some others.
> Could we have some sort of miscellaneous tools section on the website?  Not
> sure exactly how to handle it, but perhaps a site with few sentence
> descriptions of what each of these codes do and a link to a download or svn
> checkout.

Absolutely.  I think there are a couple hurdles first:

1. What should the subdomain be?  Or rather more broadly, what should
be the *address* for this?  I think 'hacks' is an option, but I worry
it downplays the level of effort and polish that has gone into the
things on it.  'misc' has a similar problem.
2. As of late, I have been inclined toward mercurial as opposed to
subversion.  For small tools like this, I tend to think it is actually
ideal; creating repositories is super cheap, and it's super easy to
host multiple in a single URL.  I normally would be opposed to
relatively smaller version control systems, but the one thing I think
hg has going for it *very* strongly as opposed to SVN for projects
like this is that it's incredibly easy to package up a tarball.  So
you can just hit up awesomescripts.enzotools.org, choose the repo you
want, and get a tarball.

> The blog might not be a bad idea as you presented it.  Matt knows my general
> feeling about blogs, but this one might turn out to be useful, provided it
> doesn't become simply a jargon collection.  I would even try to contribute,
> but might need a little pushing to get going.

Okay.  So let me see what I can come up with, and if I am able to make
a start at some kind of textual contribution, I will ping you guys
back and see how it seems.  This isn't something I want to get too far
into before it gets critically evaluated as 'good' or 'bad.'