[Yt-dev] Website Changes, dev blog?

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 21:30:24 PST 2009

Hi guys,

I'm rolling out some changes to the website.

http://enzotools.org/

has already been updated, with a list of destinations.  Right now
these are yt, the microscope, the mercurial repositories and the
pastebin.  If you have any other projects you'd like to host, I would
*LOVE* to put them up and add them as either a subdomain, svn repo or
hg repo.  (hg is the easiest to add.)

The next change up is going to be to the front page of yt.  Trac is
not going away, but it kind of sucks as a public face.  Here's my
first draft:

http://spacepope.org/temp/

for the front page.  The list of links is not final.  (Jeff is helping
out with that.)  It'll link into trac, the URLs for trac will all stay
the same, but I'm trying to make it easier to handle.  I'll also be
reorganizing the wiki (without adding any content just now) to split
the pages up to be smaller, unless they cover a single unified idea.
(For instance, the Cray page -- very popular page these days, actually
-- will stay one page.  Installation might get split, and the front
page will be split.)  The trac page itself should be re-styled at some
point; I've been playing with themes, but that's slightly longer term.

The development principles are getting moved onto a dedicated, static page:

http://spacepope.org/temp/principles.html

but they'll still be on the wiki.  All of the code for the yt-chrome
is in the repository yt-chrome (although maybe it should be named
differently) so you can play with it if you like.

I've started fiddling with the colors on the pastebin.  (This is all
in the lodgeit-yt repository.)  I'd like it to be more distinct from
the original pastebin, so I have been moving it to a more reddish
look.  It's not done yet -- a few more elements to style up.  I'll
roll it out when I finish the remaining elements.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, I think it might be worthwhile
to start recording a bit more about what we do.  Now, of the five of
us on this list, only three of us regularly commit -- and that's cool!
-- but I think we should also keep a bit of a narrative for major new
features, release concepts, and other things that might just not fit
into the wiki.  I try to do this, once in a while, on my own blog, but
it'd be good if we could keep it in some semi-official place.  Maybe
even tips-n-tricks, etc.

If anyone else would be willing to contribute, I'd be more than happy
to set up a group blog.  I just don't want to be the only one
contributing.  I think there's been a lot of stuff being put in,
added, blah blah, and it would be excellent to keep a nice narrative
description of the design decisions and new features, which we can
then direct people to.

What do y'all think?  Of the blog, the website, etc?