[Yt-dev] Embedded yt and IPython

Stephen Skory stephenskory at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 6 10:53:29 PDT 2009

Matt,

this is entirely awesome! I've actually been thinking about this for a long time, and wondered how possible/well it would work.

You should definitely tell Mike about this.

>  (I do not
> want *any* distribution of data beyond what Enzo does.)

You say you don't want any, but have you put any thought on how you might do it if you had to? An inline halo finder is something that many people want, me in particular. That would require both spatial decomposition and some associated communication.

Alternatively, would it be possible to call yt to run on data on disk in this model? One would just have enzo write out to disk for every time step they wanted to find haloes, run parallel HOP off the data on disk? Of course, this could just be accomplished by running enzo/yt/enzo/yt using a shell script as the batch job.

Again, this is super cool Matt! Thanks!