[Yt-dev] Parallel Hop

Stephen Skory stephenskory at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 24 10:25:59 PST 2009

> Next step is some determination of the padding.  I think this likely
> should be done in terms of root grid dimensions; it seems we've had
> some good success with low integer multiples of
> (DomainRightEdge-DomainLeftEdge)/RootGridDimensions .  As I recall,
> you said 0.02 was sufficient for your 64^3 run?  Or am I
> misremembering?

I did tests with 0.0, 0.05, and 0.2 padding, and even with my massive halo the 0.05 padding was almost the same (by one or two particles) as the 0.2 case for runs of p>=4. My inclination is to default to something conservative (say 0.1, I think 0.2 is too much and wasteful) and document what padding means so users understand why they might want a padding bigger or smaller than the default.