[Yt-dev] Parallel Hop

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 22:47:13 PST 2009

Okay, so then I see two things we need to do:

* Decide on a minimum halo size.  Then we can move everyone over to
HaloFinder, rather than HopGroup directly.  (HopGroup will still be
available, but HaloFinder by default works on the entire dataset, so
we should encourage that.)

* Add the HDF5 write functions to the Halo objects.

The first one is the only one we need to do before moving
SS_HopOutput.py over HopOutput.py.

Britton, I've made a new paste that shows the simplest usage of the
new halo finder:

http://paste.enzotools.org/show/58/

Let's decide on a minimum volume and then move it over.  The parameter
will be adjustable, but we'll make the *halo size* the argument,
rather than the padding; this keeps us tied to the physical arguments,
rather than the code abstractions.  Once we've moved it over, we'll
add the HDF5 halo write-outs to the Halo groups themselves.

If anyone has to manually figure out which processor an object resides
on, we have failed.

-Matt