[Yt-dev] Parallel Hop

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 17:49:43 PST 2009

Hi Stephen and others,

After my first email, I realized that we should not want the Domain to
be considered equal, but that I think we should not consider the dx's
to be different.  This breaks a bit of generalization, but I'm okay
with that.  Domains I think we should keep general.  I propose that we
accept a parameter:

minimum_halo_mass

which we can use to come up with padding by:

rho = total_mass / product(root_grid_dimensions)

this gives us a mass per root grid cell.  (Note that this is also the
mean dark matter density of the universe, if we only have DM
particles.  But HOP is more general than just DM, so we do not make
this assumption.)  We should have padding such that it's
over-resolving our minimum mass by some factor B.

padding = B * root_dx * minimum_halo_mass / rho

The reason I'm looking at this in terms of root grid cells is the
typical sync between root grid cells and the particles; Brian's done
some work with particle dimensions differing from the hydro dims, but
I think what we can consider is that even in that case, the two are
*correlated* by some multiple of RefineBy.  The same is true for
simulations with "zoom" particles.

Maybe I'm on the wrong track, but does this make sense to anyone else?
 Brian, Britton?

-Matt