[Yt-dev] dm only viriral masses

Britton Smith brittonsmith at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 10:50:22 PST 2009

Stephen,

Ok, that sounds fine.  There still might be some use in having an interface
with the halo profiler.  If you're calculating virial masses for halos, but
only concerned with those above some minimum mass, this might be a nice way
of skipping halos that we know will be below the threshold virial mass.
Currently, the default method in the code is to continue to profile halos
down to 0.1 of the mass calculated by the halo finder.  That tends to be
overkill, but I set it low to make sure not to miss any halos.  However,
this calculation would get us much closer to knowing the total virial mass
before-hand and might be a finer filter than what we've been using.  Once
you have it in there, I'll check it out to see if there's a way the halo
profiler can take advantage of it.

Britton