[Yt-dev] yt structure

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 19:11:29 PST 2009

Hi Stephen,

> I'm wondering if there is a system to deciding when something belongs in yt.lagos (like the HaloFinders), or in yt.extensions (like the HaloProfiler)? For example, I'm thinking of adding a simple bit of code that will calculate the star formation history (Msol/year, for example) for a given set of stars. Would that go in extensions or in lagos? The best I can tell is that extensions are more secondary, as in they are a post-processor of already refined data, while lagos handles the raw data and refines it down.

Yeah, the extensions are supposed to be secondary.  However, I'd like
to deprecate the current directory structure and move to a new layout,
where we get rid of 'raven' and 'lagos' and the other snow crash
names, instead moving to a better system of describing the contents of
directories.  It's just been put off for a while.  Ideally, what do
you think is a good name for a subpackage that covers, broadly, the
type of analysis that this code does?

The document I wrote up about a year ago -- now somewhat out of date
-- that describes what I'd like to do with the reorganization is here:

http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AVDaRHnSGW8ZZHJ3cTNkM182NGhibXJtOWZ2&hl=en

Maybe something like yt.synthetic_observations or something?
yt.physics seems a bit glib.  :)