[Yt-dev] nickel instruction for using parallel HOP (not on Kraken)

Stephen Skory stephenskory at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 1 11:22:17 PST 2009

Britton,

>>Ok, I got one of these:
>
>Real index -1!!!
>
>I didn't get a "Padded index -1!!!".  You're suspicion seems to have been right.

So it seems to me that you probably have a particle with index == -1. There are a few things we can try. If you have just one with -1, we can change the default 'empty' value in those arrays to something else. I suspect you won't have just one, however, at which point you're kind of up a creek, because that's absolutely required for parallel HOP.

It may be worth your time to fix the -1 IDs to something unique in the enzo dataset.

I should add a check that screens for bad particle index values, like -1. I've learned something today.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with!