[Yt-dev] HOP/FoF problems

Stephen Skory stephenskory at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 24 14:14:21 PDT 2009

Hi all,

I've been trying to get the new HOP/FoF implementation to run on L7 and on Kraken. I have found a couple problems.

The easy one is when trying to statically link both EnzoHop.a and EnzoFOF.a, it complains because they share the same kdtree naming structure. FoF should have its function names that conflict with HOP changed. I'll get around to changing this sometime. For now, I doubt anyone is using it. Alternatively, if they are identical enough, it may be good to use just one set of kdtree code for both. Thoughts?

Second, halo_list.write_out() is obtaining the particle_velocity_* fields serially, because now those fields aren't read in in parallel before calling the halo finder. What is the best way to read that data in parallel too, but only when its needed?