[Yt-dev] Release 1.5

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 09:42:01 PDT 2009

I agree, it should be renamed and the new version should supplant the old.

It seems to me that the best course of action would be severalfold,
and committed in a single go.

 1. Join the yt/lagos/fof/FOF_Output.py and yt/lagos/hop/HOP_Output.py
files and put them as yt/lagos/HaloFinder.py
 2. Remove as much code duplication as possible between the two by
refactoring into a base class and two subclasses
 3. Add HOPHaloFinder and FOFHaloFinder classes
 4. set HaloFinder = HOPHaloFinder at the bottom of yt/lagos/HaloFinder.py
 5. Change all the recipes in examples/ and on the Wiki to use the new API
 6. Fix yt/mods.py to import from the correct location
 7. Email yt-users to notify about the change in API, but don't stress
the parallel nature just yet.

We can do this in a few commits if necessary, but it looks like it
could all be done as a single one.  I can help out with #2 after the
initial commit and change, but I think you have a better feel for how
it should go at the start.  It'd be really great if you could test
this before committing, too, in both serial and parallel.  I don't
mind breaking the API just now, but I'd prefer we did it in a single
go.

This is great news!  Thanks for your hard work.

-Matt