[Yt-dev] Fwd: AMR in MayaVi

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 10:59:47 PDT 2009

FYI

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Prabhu Ramachandran <prabhu at aero.iitb.ac.in>
Date: Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 10:31 AM
Subject: Re: AMR in MayaVi
To: Matthew Turk <matthewturk at gmail.com>

Hey Matt,

I've been a little busy, hence the slow response.

On 04/05/09 11:26, Matthew Turk wrote:

> A while back we chatted about including AMR in MayaVi2.  I was
> wondering what the current status was of using the
> HierarchicalBoxDataSet as a data source -- the patch to allow direct
> addressing of this, that made it into VTK CVS, is going to be included
> in the EPD (ticket #600: https://svn.enthought.com/epd/ticket/600 )
> and we're eager to start integrating more fully with MayaVi.  I
> believe the major differences would be constructing
> HierarchicalBoxDataSets and changing the executive to
> CompositeDataPipeline.

IIRC there is also a little extra work needed to get the data ranges
and stuff so it works nicely with mayavi and its module manager etc.

> We have started converting to a Traits-based GUI for our analysis
> package ( http://yt.enzotools.org/attachment/wiki/Screenshots/reason_v2.png
> ) and have started using TVTK scene objects as our editors, etc, but
> using MayaVi properly would be far better -- we're currently
> constructing all of our own objects, rather than pipelines, based on
> VTK primitives.  Using the pre-built MayaVi pipelines would be pretty
> excellent -- and certainly much easier!  The interfaces for both
> MayaVi and mlab are very impressive, as you know.

Thanks for the compliments, the screenshot is really cool.

> Also, a couple months ago you mentioned you had a student looking into
> parallel rendering with mayavi & tvtk.  Did he ever end up having
> success?

The student did get a fully working patch against the then mayavi svn
trunk but there were a few issues I wanted addressed and I gave the
problem over to another student who has been busy with other work and
has also not picked up enough to take it ahead.  I am hoping this will
be resolved by this month end though.  I've been pestering the student
to get this done ASAP.  Right now he is working on a couple of
features and will start this work next week I hope.

cheers,
prabhu