[yt-dev] When can we turn off serialization by default?

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Fri Apr 19 07:31:09 PDT 2013

Hi all,

I'd like to turn off serialization by default.  This includes:

1) Projections
2) Grid hierarchy
3) Field lists

and maybe other things.  In general, I think it's a bad idea to just
litter directories with new files, and specifically I think it's a bad
idea to store 2&3 since they are a huge source of errors for new and
existing users.

My preference would be to disable all auto-serialization of anything
and make that not possible, mandating explicit, manual saves of data
instead.  However I recognize that is likely unpopular, as even though
my simulations have a lot of data on disk, I know that they also take
a relatively short time to project.

So when can we make it disabled-by-default?  2.6?  3.0?  Now?